Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies

Winter = dark = no good natural lighting

Winter = dark = no good natural lighting

So it’s been a while since I last posted (I feel like I say that a lot). As usual the lack of posts hasn’t been due to an infrequency of cooking here, but rather due to the fact that a) I haven’t cooked many new things lately, b) of the the new things I have tried, none of them have been all that visually appealing, and c) I’m often times too lazy to try to make them visually attractive for a picture.

I did try some new slowcooker recipes for coq au vin, chili, and broccoli cheddar soup. The first two turned out quite well, but the broccoli cheddar soup was a major disaster. I’m not sure exactly what happened, but some form of dairy curdled and stuff burned, and it was all in all unpleasant. I think it’ll be a while before I attempt another cream-based slowcooker soup.

The coq au vin recipe turned out pretty well. Unfortunately I can’t remember what recipe I used (it happened in September) and I also didn’t take a picture of it. All I can remember is that I used chicken thighs, garlic, mushrooms, frozen pearl onions, carrots, and red wine. I think I browned the chicken before putting it in the slowcooker so that the chicken would maintain intact, but that’s about all I remember. It was good though, so I might try it again and actually write down what I do.

The chili was for snacks after service at church one Sunday when my family group was in charge. We ended up making probably around 100 servings in 8 slowcookers. I have a picture of how it turned out (below), but it’s not a picture that’s worth making a whole post on. I also freehanded a lot of the recipe, so I don’t have measurements of what went into it. I might also try this one again to actually get a recipe.

photo

Anyhow, for some reason I felt like baking cookies, looked through my repository of saved off cookie recipes, and well here they are! The recipe came from Scrambled Henfruit. I followed it pretty closely, but instead of using the individually wrapped caramel candies I used caramel bits because they didn’t require manually unwrapping each caramel. As a result, the caramel to cookie ratio ended up a little low because I wasn’t sure how many bits to use per cookie. I used 5, so probably 7-8 is the right number.

Regardless, the cookies still taste pretty good. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow whether other people (other than me, my fiance, and my roommate) like them.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: